Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A few months of updates.

It's summer and we've been running at full speed. We started in March with a trip to California to see family. We found a VRBO condo in La Jolla Shores and spent the trip at the beach, it was pretty awesome, we want to stay at the same place again. Then in April we headed to NY to see the family, it was still chilly up there but we had a nice time. During a travel break we got a few new baby chickens which Lane loved. Then we kicked off our May with a trip to Disney's Wilderness Campground, Key West and Bahia Honda to celebrate Lane and I's birthdays and Dave and I's anniversary (year 9!). It was an amazing trip. The camper was perfect for us and pulled fine once the weight was balanced out. Disney was magical - particularly the campground, though Magic Kingdom is pretty special. We loved the boat ride back and forth, fireworks, clean bathrooms, bike trails, shows....and Pony Rides! Little one rode her first pony! Key West was beautiful, though our favorite parts of it had nothing to do with Duvall Street. I liked the botanical garden and good food, Lane liked the Aquarium, Dave liked the bike riding and exploring. We got to Bahia Honda the last four nights of the trip and it blew us away. Perfect see to the bottom beaches that were shallow for Lane to play in, we got to take the paddleboard out, we got to find coconuts, grill, chill, wander, see stars. We took Lane to a turtle hospital for her birthday. Little turtle lover was cackling with excitement, particularly when the turtle helpers would pull them out of the water for a cleaning or treatment. She insists she will be a 'turtle doctor' one day and is still talking about the turtle hospital. It was the perfect family vacation, with bits and pieces for each one of us. I left wanting more. In late June I headed to San Diego with Lane for my sister's wedding - a one week trip where we did wedding festivities, saw lots of family, and even snuck in a beach trip. For July 4th we took the camper out to Tybee for patriotic celebrations and watched fireworks on the beach which was pretty sweet (Dave's mom came down and braved the camper with us). Last week was spent in Floyd, Virginia for our second trip to Floydfest. It didn't disappoint, with great food, great people and in a beautiful place. Last year we had a good time but got rained out prematurely so we were a little more prepared this time. Maybe next year we'll be confident enough to invite some other people to hang with us for a couple days of it. Besides the scenery, quiet moments in the camper and time spent together, my favorite part was watching my two year old head for the stage. She is a guitar loving, singing, dancing wonder. She'd head to the front, point at the guitars, wave to the singers. She's a nut and I love it. She serenaded us in the car for at least a quarter of the car trip.

All in all, it has been a beautiful few months. There is never enough time, but we are blessed to have been able to enjoy some good travel and catch up with family. With every up there is a down, and we had a great sadness a couple weeks ago. Sydney, our constant companion for the last 11 years, passed away. She had never been a very energetic dog, happy to lay on her bed for several hours at a time, watching outside pass by, but her energy level had depleted significantly and noticeably which prompted a vet appointment and xray which revealed her cancer. She was put on prednisone to give her some energy and hopefully put the cancer into remission. Her energy and appetite did increase for a time, but about two weeks ago she got very lethargic again. We knew it was time to let go when she couldn't walk anymore. Letting her go..... this link to Dave and I's beginning, our time together in California, the time she spent with me in college, the memories of teaching her to use a doggy door in NY (she still didn't care for it ), taking her on boat rides in our little wood boat, taking her camping, the fact that she hated wet feet and rain, the time we took her in bars in Savannah, long walks with her at Ft. Pulaski, introducing her to our baby, watching her interact with Lane.....next to losing my Grandfather, this was probably the greatest loss we've experienced together. She was, and always will be, our first baby, our first project together and despite her flaws she was a wonderful dog. Not a mean bone in her body. Never a bite, never a malicious growl. She was loved and petted and pampered until her last breath, at our house, with Neeko, Dave and I by her side. I am not anxious for another dog, and have devoted myself to making Neeko's life as good as possible. Ever the dog bone and toy hoarder, Sydney meant that he couldn't have bones and toys which he can have in abundance now. A sneaky diaper eater/stealth carpet pee'r, Syd meant that gates kept them sequestered in the kitchen mostly, now he is free to roam and is at my feet as I type this. Toward the latter part of her life, she wasn't much of a walker - and neither is he - but he easy to handle and I can ensure he gets a short walk daily. Sydney never failed to savor the moment. She loved her food, loved her pats, and always had a happy look or tail  wag for me. She was always a reminder to be happy, that life isn't that rough, to stop and smell/eat the flowers (I can plant more things on the deck now), and that when things get stressful or tiring to feel free to just lay down, wherever you are and no matter who is with you - even in the road - and lay down for rest. I could devote a book to funny Sydneyisms - from puppy on - to that fantastic Rhodesian Ridgeback. Rest in peace my big dog, and if you happen to be around my Grandfather, don't go near him because he doesn't like dogs and he might hit you with that big stick he carried on his walks.

Dave's job status has changed. He is no longer working for the Coastal Bank, which he was with since we moved to Savannah. The Coastal Bank was acquired by Ameris and he is now a lender once again. Ever positive and loyal, Dave is enthusiastic about his new company and pleased that he will be working with a good group from the Coastal Bank team. With change comes hard work, but I have no doubt he'll shine brightly in his new role.

Mandel Design is plugging along. The jobs keep coming in and I keep learning, growing and excelling as a landscape architect. I had no idea where this career would go, but being able to bring in income for my family, be creative and balance my life makes me feel like I made good choices. It is not without frustrations and uncertainties, but so far, I am truly enjoying my business and look forward to doing this the rest of my life....literally...I don't think that I will ever retire....I will be ancient and drawing as long as my hands work.

The bees are doing awesome this year. We have one hive that is amazing and one that is fair, but so far so good. We pulled a few gallons of honey in June and look forward to getting more this far. We have decided on the barter system for friends who want honey. It's not worth in cash the amount of blood, sweat and stings, so if you want some, make us something.

That pretty  much sums up the last few months. A few Lane highlights for her fans - she's a talker still. New sentences, songs, thoughts and questions every day. Her favorites:

Lane: 'What's Lane's favorite animal?'
Me: (pretending I have no idea) 'Is it..... kangaroo's?'
Lane: 'No'
Me 'Is it millipedes?'
Lane: 'Turtles!'
Me: 'Really? Wow! No Kidding'

She loves to point to things and ask 'What's that?'. Sometimes I can answer, sometimes I find myself trying to explain a stripe on a piece of carpet, but I am glad that she asks and I love doing my best to answer.

She tells Dave she missed him when he gets home from work. Usually he picks her up for a hug and now she's adding in a 'love you so much fuzzy daddy'. Yes, he is fuzzy daddy to her.

Her song repertoire (usually sang at high volume while strumming her purple ukele)" Twinkle Twinkle, Happy Birthday, You are my sunshine, We are the Dinosaurs, Pig on her head, good night, on top of spaghetti, and a few others. If you don't recognize some of those it is because they are by Laurie Berkner, a children's music artist. Dave and I feel like Laurie lives with us, sleeps with us, eats with us, showers with us.

She regularly hugs the dog, raids the pantry and reorganizes it, eats incredibly slowly, is getting better with a spoon, is fully and amazingly potty trained (no diapers even on the long car trip we just did!), likes to have a say in what she wears, and sometimes put on multiple pairs of panties. She also loves to be naked, pees outside sometimes, still loves turtles and points them out mercilessly, loves to freak me out in the pool with her fearless 'swimming' underwater and loves play doh. I am not a big fan of tv just yet, but she can watch music videos on youtube when we travel or in restaurants/errands. She loves this. It's extra special when she gets to cuddle with Daddy and watch 'videos' at night. Sleep is still not her thing, particularly alone, but I'm not in any big rush. She'll get better at that. She gives random hugs, is friendly to strangers, is  getting better at taking off and putting on her shoes and clothes and really likes her puzzles. I genuinely love being her mommy. We have so much fun.

Some pictures: Thanks to my mother in law for always having a camera, and to instagram for keeping me organized!





















































No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers